About me

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Donuts, and other simple pleasures

I know that donuts are not the healthiest food. But I love them, and they make me happy, so I allow myself to eat about one every other month. If that shortens my life by a few months, so be it. I’m a human being trying to live a full life, not a lab rat in someone’s longevity experiment. This morning I wanted to treat my family to something special, so I drove to Pinks Donuts on East Covell Boulevard in Davis and bought a small bag of our favorite donuts plus a half dozen glazed donut holes. While checking out, I thanked the proprietor for staying open during the pandemic and shared with her that in my mind, she and her family provide an “essential service” for my family and our community. She smiled, paused, and replied, “I don’t think that we provide an essential service, but I believe that what we do helps people with their mental health.” I wanted to leap over the counter and give her a big hug for helping to boost HOW I FEEL in a time of need (but left her a big tip instead). What are the donuts in your life that give a boost to your mental health? What simple pleasures that comfort you emotionally can you liberally sprinkle onto your weekly routine during a time of fear, uncertainty, and physical distancing? What about listening to music, going for a run, curling up with a good book, or binge watching a Netflix series? If you need more suggestions, either text me at 530-919-9705 or check out Healthy Pleasures by David Sobel (TPMG’s former director of health education) and Robert Ornstein.


Addendum:  within a few hours of this post, my gastroenterology colleague Dr. Salwa Hussain sent me this beautiful poem to get us ready for tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The reasons why things is like they are

Acts of commission, omission, and microaggression are just a few examples of how we contribute to the racial divides and socioeconomic dispa...