About me

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

When I'm Weary

Right behind the great James Taylor, my favorite performing artist is Dave Matthews. I’m told that I started to follow him and the Dave Matthews Band (DMB) after they peaked in popularity. No worries. At this stage of my life, I like what I like, and Dave’s jam rock takes me to a very happy place in my mind. Favorites include Bartender, Crash Into Me, The Space Between, and my all-time favorite, #41. Over the past few months, and then more so over the past week as I’ve watched, along with you, the protests, riots, and anarchy that are threatening to unravel the tattered fabric of our society, I’ve been thinking a lot about the lyrics to his 2018 ballad When I’m Weary. If you find yourself weary and tired, and seeing the world as a dark place, I admonish you to take off the blinders that kept you focused as a premed, medical student, resident, and fellow, but no longer serve you well as a physician on a 30 year journey. Look to both sides of you and behind you, and you will see that you are making this pilgrimage with legions of fellow healers. We are one body with many parts, and together we must face what lies ahead. You remind me, and I will remind you, to keep on trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The reasons why things is like they are

Acts of commission, omission, and microaggression are just a few examples of how we contribute to the racial divides and socioeconomic dispa...