About me

Friday, May 15, 2020

Take yourself to a happy place


Feeling cooped up by the shelter in place restrictions and the cancellation of your vacations? Me too. But rather than be a helpless victim of a tiny coronavirus, I choose to leverage my mindfulness and guided imagery training to regularly take myself to happy places throughout the world, not in the typical bodily sense, but in my mind. It works like this. I put on my Rainbow brand sandals that are a constant companion wherever I go. My dear friend and wellness colleague, Richele Thornburg, Executive VP, People and Leadership Strategy, The Permanente Federation, reminds me that the correct name for this luxurious footwear is “slippas.” Of course, my slippas call for me to accessorize with a comfortable well-worn t-shirt, shorts, and a wide brimmed hat for UV protection, or a farmers cap if I am feeling young, hip, and unafraid of skin cancer. I then set out on a walk in my neighborhood (pictured below, bottom row, center). But instead of mindfully appreciating my immediate surroundings, I take myself to one of my happiest places in the world. That place would be Hawaii, a cluster of tropical islands where I am filled with peace and joy with no effort. In an instant, my stress and worries melt away and I am connected to the tastes and textures of savory Spam musubi and sweet shave ice, the 82 degree 55% humidity weather that forces me to slow down and mellow out, the sensation of weightlessness experienced while floating in warm ocean water surrounded by friendly tropical fish, and the hospitality of my island hosts who thrive on making me feel welcomed and cared for. Where is your happy place? Since you probably can’t drive or fly there at the present time, why not take a virtual visit in your mind? Slippas are optional, but highly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The reasons why things is like they are

Acts of commission, omission, and microaggression are just a few examples of how we contribute to the racial divides and socioeconomic dispa...